Acle St. Edmunds Bowls Club Acle Recreation Centre Bridewell Lane Acle.  Norfolk  NR13 3RA Roy Himpleman (Chairman) (01493) 751636 Web-site designed by Bill Downie
Share on Facebook Share via e-mail Print
Mail: webadmin@acle-indoor-bowls.org.uk?subject=Acle St Edmunds web site
Acle St.Edmunds Bowls Club .

A Brief History

The Club was formed in 1920 and played on the Rectory Lawn. Its members were known as ‘The Holy Boys’.  In 1935, Mr. Dunnell used his own mower to cut the green whilst the clubs mower was broken, and at the A.G.M., he was awarded 100 cigarettes for his kindness.


In 1940, the membership fee was 10 shillings (50p), but by 1943, it had been raised to 12 shillings and sixpence (62½p). On the 15th, 18th and 22nd May 1943, competitions were held for ‘Wings for Victory Week’.  In 1948, it was agreed that the club should purchase a new mower at a cost of £70/3s/6d.


At the A.G.M. in April 1955, it was agreed to form a Ladies section within the club. At that same meeting, it was agreed to close the meeting early, as there was a good programme on the TV that night. In 1956, Mr. R Shingles presented the club with a Silver Cup, to be played for annually, and is still played for today.


Over the years, the club has moved to a number of locations within Acle, moving to its current location at Acle War Memorial Recreation Centre in 1977.  Success has led to success, and in recent years the club has become one of Norfolk’s leading clubs.

 

Chairman

Roy Himpleman

The Club Badge

Umpire Roy Himpleman

Directions:-



How to Find us

Loading...

Action from the

Malta Cup Finals day.